What do you know about the immigrants who are facing historic level deportations and incarceration in the United States today? Would you like to learn more and grow your understanding along with other mindfulness practitioners?
Join us for a series of free Zoom (phone or computer) calls as we pilot a mindfulness-based educational program that will help us understand more about the millions of Latinx people living in the United States, their history in this country, and their lives today.
REGISTER FOR THE NEXT ZOOM CALL
LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC ON YOUR OWN:
Part I April 22:
- Chapter 1 (Foreigners in Their Own Land) & 2 (Peril and Promise) of the PBS series Latino Americans, accessible here.
- The Americans Our Government won't Count, by Alex Wagner, New York Times
- Chapter 3 of Mexicans in the Making of America by Neil Foley, Becoming Good Neighbors. (will be emailed to you when you register for the call)
- Introduction to The Land of Open Graves, Living and Dying in the Migrant Trail, by Jason de León. (will be emailed to you when you register for the call)
- The exhibit Carne y Arena at Atlas Theater in DC, info here.
- The Invention of Hispanics
- The difference between Latino, Hispanic, and Spanish video here
- Latino or Hispanic?
- Children of the Americas video on unaccompanied minor immigration
Part II May 22:
- America's Millions of Mexicans without Documents Live in Fear, US News, Guardian Article
This PBS Video La Deportación here.
How the Hispanic Population is Changing, Pew Research
Undocumented Immigrants Tell their Stories, Vanity Fair Video
Part III June 19:
Part IV August 7:
- How U.S. Involvement In Central America Led To a Border Crisis
- The Other Border Problem: American Guns Going to Mexico Article Here
- Thích Nhất Hạnh: A Message of Peace in the Midst of War Video Here
Ways to get involved in immigrant justice -- locally (DC area): www.caircoalition.org, http://sanctuarydmv.org/, https://www.theyoungcenter.org/about-the-young-center/